Learn More About Rural Valley Borough
A Little History Lesson
When John Patterson came from Washington County in 1829 he settled on land along Cowanshannock Creek. The land was previously owned by the Indians, claimed by the French in the early nineteenth century, and then purchased by his Grandfather, William Findley.
In 1830 he named part of the Cowanshannock valley east of Greendale “Rural Valley“ and on May 19 1830, he established the Rural Valley Post Office in his residence. He then became the first post master.
In 1936 John Patterson laid out the old plot of Rural Village which extended east from the alley beside the present Shannock Valley United Presbyterian Church to Craig’s Run.
In the ensuing three years a village with a church (Presbyterian), a store, a post office and a tavern was established.
In 1876 the Methodist Church had been organized, and a road from Kittanning to Clearfield, part of which followed the Main Street of the village had been built. Four merchants, a mason, physician, tinsmith, peddler, printer, five blacksmiths, two carpenters, a justice of the peace, three wagon makers, two shoemakers, tailor, artist and two innkeepers served the needs of the 197 people in the village and others from the surrounding communities.
In 1900 when the coal mines were opened in Cowanshannock Township, the village became the Borough of Rural Valley
In the following years a bank, flour mill, dairy, newspaper “Advance”, garage and stores came into the Borough. The telephone, electricity, borough water system [A look into our past.] A look into our past.and fire protection contributed to the well being of the people. When Route 85 was paved in 1924, transportation was greatly facilitated to other parts of Armstrong County.
In the interim between the first log school and the now closed Shannock Valley High School building, three other school building had been erected, which was indicative of the people’s continued interest in their children’s education.
In 1976 Rural Valley, with an area of 2.1 square miles and a population of almost 1000, was a Bicentennial community.